Director of Donor Recruitment & Development
Posted on 06/30/2021Opportunity International - Chicago, IL 60607
Opportunity International was founded in 1971 and exists to bring about a measure of justice, dignity and purpose for families living in poverty. We do this by supporting local micro-finance organizations that provide innovative financial solutions to empower people, create small businesses and build vibrant communities. This year, we are celebrating 50 years of Opportunity.
We serve 12 million hardworking entrepreneurs in 28 countries around the world and have big plans for the world: a world without poverty where people can live with dignity and purpose. Our clients have ambitious dreams for their futures, but lack the opportunities needed to make those dreams a reality.
The Director, Donor Recruitment and Development is a fundraising and program management position that supports the mission of Opportunity International by raising funds, managing donor relationships, and converting prospects. The Director will manage a portfolio of annual donors by cultivating and retaining relationships with midlevel (focus on $1k - $5k) donors, plus expand the donor base by converting prospects and reactivating lapsed donors. The director provides strategic direction for a coordinated engagement plan of communication, solicitation, and stewardship strategies involving email, direct mail, and phone treatment. This program supports broader Philanthropy and Campaign goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Lead the day-to-day planning and administration of the Annual Giving & Prospect Development program and drive fundraising activity related to solicitation pus major-gift referrals and qualifications.
- Plan, develop and manage budget and business plan.
- Plan, organize and implement gift strategies, messaging, list management and scripts to maximize annual giving, prospect conversion and reactivation opportunities.
- Manage a portfolio of annual gift donors and prospects with a goal of raising over $1M annually (exact goal to be determined annually) and increase the active donor file by +10% each year.
- Develop lead generation; reactivation and nurture strategies to increase new donors as well as reactivations. Conduct solicitation calls for personal list to drive donor growth and achieve revenue goals.
- Manage Mid-level reps to achieve revenue and donor loyalty plus upsell/cross sell goals.
- Collaborate with internal partners including Major Gift fundraising on the development and management of the Annual Giving & Prospect Development program, and with Marketing & Communications plus Philanthropy Services on the development of materials and proposals for prospects and donors.
- Ensure all strategic activity is thoroughly documented and reported in a consistent and timely manner for submission to prospects and donors. Coordinate gift progress and activities through the RE donor management system.
- Provide input and strategic direction for donor programs within the Mid-level, and Entry segments, including programs for: stewardship, research, communications, Board of Governors, planned-giving, new donors, leads generated from events, corporate cause efforts, online marketing, etc.
- Formulate and execute an annual communication plan to grow and sustain donor relationships, identifying those as having potential for the greatest growth.
- Ensure timely and accurate stewardship and reporting activities and evolve the stewardship plan.
- Special projects as assigned to further enhance the Annual Giving program.
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Manage Mid-Level Reps
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience; non-profit, fundraising and/or sales experience preferred.
- Strong leadership and supervision qualities with ability to motivate others; ability to work with direct reports; colleagues; volunteers and direct their efforts.
- Ability to work both cooperatively to achieve common goals and work independently to achieve individual goals; take initiative, and plan strategically.
- 8-10 years of fund-raising or sales experience including phone sales & customer service.
- 3-5 years of program director experience including budget management.
- Creative and innovative with a positive, customer-service oriented attitude.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to listen carefully to and understand donors’ needs and proactively respond to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Provide direction and motivation to others through modeling appropriate behavior, communication, encouragement, and high achievement.
- Good public speaking skills.
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Understanding of database management systems, moves management and donor relations.
- Foundational computer skills including Office Outlook; Word & Excel.
- Dependable, problem solver, and strong ability to multitask.
- Able to effectively redirect attention and prioritize tasks.
- Able to work well under pressure of meeting deadlines.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally as needed.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
- Donor Retention
- Prospect Conversion
- Lapsed Donor Reactivation
- Major gift fundraisers
- Marketing team
- Occasional travel for donor visits
Please login to apply for this job.